Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Power of Thought

I have been working on this project – in the standard onsite-offshore model. Like in most such cases, the person I’m working with onsite is not known to me – haven’t met him, even virtually, before this project. The only thing I know is his name and now his voice – thanks to the weekly calls we have.

I have baggage from all my past experiences with the onsite-offshore model; the chief one being that onsite and offshore can’t be friends and are usually working at cross-purposes. Though, we’re meant to be working towards the common goal of delivering a great product to the client and making them happy. So, as I started this project, I have no animosity towards this onsite person but I’m constantly on my guard; I’m polite but not necessarily warm; I’m as transparent as I need to be but not more and I’m forever judging – on every call and every mail. Maybe he’s doing the same.

Today, the weekly call was going to be tough – this was my first thought as I woke up. I had project concerns that I was sure onsite would not appreciate and they’d be ready to push me into a corner and I did not want to be pushed. And, then I "thought” – why have I decided that onsite will not appreciate my concerns, why have I decided that this is us vs. them, why? The answer was - nothing I have seen on this project – all this was purely baggage and conditioning. So, I “decided” I’m going into this call as a team – not as us vs. them. It suddenly brought a smile to my voice as I said “Good evening, how are you?” And, I heard the smile reciprocated in his response – maybe it had always been there but I hadn't realized. The tension melted and as I raised the concerns, I actually heard the understanding and possible solutions coming from the other end. It caused me to be more open than I have ever been and that felt good. 

Bottom line – resolutions seem to be in sight. That is the power of thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment