Saturday, November 5, 2011

Is Video-based Learning Superior to Standard eLearning?

Today, I saw a video on an eLearning  company’s website that claimed that their video eLearning is way better and more engaging than standard slideware eLearning (said in a slightly derogatory tone). I was intrigued and wanted to know more about how they achieved this.
I looked at several samples of learning videos they had on their site. In each of them, I compared what I saw with what I think its equivalent would be in what they call standard slideware eLearning. Here’s what I saw and thought:

Video eLearning
Standard eLearning
A video of an anchor who talks through the content
Audio that talks through the content
On-screen text that the anchor points to while explaining concepts
On-screen text that draws attention to itself through use of some animation or is talked about by the audio

Stock photos, Rendered Graphics, screenshots and yes, even clipart – again pointed to by the anchor or in some cases the anchor vanishes because of lack of screen space

Similar kinds of Graphics and screenshots explained using callouts, highlights and audio


What I obviously did not find (considering it is video and not an interactive course), were interactions. Interactions are very common in standard eLearning – could be simple questions or more complex/interesting activities that the learner needs to do. If designed well, interactions can make the learning content much more engaging and therefore better to learn from.
Bottomline – I am as clueless as I was before about how the company can claim that their video learning modules are better in any way. Each of the features is present in most typical eLearning courses. And, the eLearning courses have the added advantage of interactivity.
So, I think, effectiveness comes not from a specific mode of delivery – it comes only from “good analysis and design” – which includes identifying the best mode of delivery based on the audience, and other client realities. I’m sure Video Learning is the best in certain situations – but it is the role of the Learning Consultant / Instructional Designer to decide when it is the best to use.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you when you say design over delivery (if that's what you are saying) however, the Badger Badger Badger video on Cathy-Moore's blog brings out a few basics of what makes a video sticky....

    ReplyDelete